The software industry has been continuously evolving over the last two decades, and the testing process, which is an integral part of development, has also witnessed several changes in recent years. From manual testing in the 1980s to automation testing in the 1990s and the advent of cloud testing in the 2010 era, companies have embraced newer technologies in favor of old and outdated techniques.
Another path-breaking technique that has revolutionized software testing in recent years is codeless testing, which enables even testers with no programming experience to execute complicated test cases with ease.
The popularity of codeless testing can be verified by the fact that the global codeless testing market is valued at around US $2 billion in 2023 and is predicted to grow even further. To know why codeless testing has taken the world in its grip, let us understand it first and go through its various benefits in brief.
Understanding codeless testing and its advantages
Codeless testing, in simple terms, is the process of creating automated tests without writing even a single line of code. With codeless automation, you do not need to understand testing frameworks or an application’s underlying technology to be able to automate tests.
Here are some key reasons why software companies are embracing codeless testing:
- Saves time: One big advantage of codeless testing is that testers do not have to spend time coding or learning programming. It allows testers to start the testing process immediately, saving precious time.
- Scalability: Most of the codeless tools available in the market are cloud-based, allowing you to scale your testing efforts up or down as per your changing needs.
- Built-in integrations: Almost all codeless tools come with pre-built integrations, like test case libraries and test management tools, that facilitate easier testing, hence avoiding the need for additional setups or integrations.
- Reusability: Codeless testing solutions let you reuse test steps across projects and various operating systems, speeding up your testing process and making them more cost-effective.
- User-friendliness: Testers, whatever their skill level, will find codeless automation testing easier to understand. They can start their testing process without assistance and run tests just with one or two clicks.
By now, you must be convinced that codeless testing can make your testing process smoother, more efficient, and faster, facilitating speedier delivery of your products to the market. The next obvious step is to search for the most suitable codeless tool that aligns with your specific requirements.
Choosing the right tool is crucial since an inappropriate tool can jeopardize your testing efforts. To help you in the selection process, we list in this blog some of the best codeless tools currently available in the market, along with their features so that you can make the right decision.
Top Codeless Testing Tools 2023
Compare the features of these tools and select the one that best suits your project:
Among the many codeless tools to have hit the market in recent years, TestGrid is one platform that stands tall due to its unbeatable, powerful features and benefits. With its easy-to-use interface, the intelligent, AI-based, codeless automation testing platform streamlines organizations’ testing efficiency while reducing test maintenance, enabling them to deliver high-quality products to consumers.
- Its auto-healing feature heals all your codeless tests and even prevents them from failing by relocating valid locators of broken objects automatically
- AI-powered scriptless testing enables anyone without coding experience to run tests
- Allows execution of recorded tests on scalable infrastructure, whether on the cloud or on-premise
- All-in-one solution that lets you perform API testing, cross-browser testing, and derive performance metrics without third-party dependencies
- Run manual and automated tests across real devices for native and hybrid mobile applications
- Enables remote access to testing teams from anywhere across the globe
- Parallel testing across multiple test configurations to facilitate faster release of software products
- Effortless debugging thanks to detailed insights through test logs
This popular scriptless tool, powered by AI, is easy to learn and comes with excellent features that make it an invaluable testing tool. Perfecto lets you test applications across different browsers and operating systems on multiple real devices. Moreover, being a cloud-based tool, testers can easily access it from anywhere.
- Provides insightful reports after every test run
- Enables behavior-driven testing
- Provides regression testing support
- Facilitates quick API testing with advanced validation
- Allows parallel execution of test cases
It is a unified codeless automation testing platform that allows you to accelerate your testing process and deliver products quickly to end users. TestSigma facilitates testing web, mobile, and desktop applications and even APIs under one roof. Moreover, you can integrate it easily with your CI/CD ecosystem for continuous testing.
- Makes testing simple and allows easy connection to test data sources and import and generate data
- Facilitates easy test creation using plain English statements or with the help of the test recorder for capturing and converting user actions to test steps
- Allows parallel testing across many OS/browser combinations and real mobile devices
- Get customized reports that provide an excellent overview of the pass/fail test trends
- With its built-in test lab and local agent, you can run tests on the cloud or locally
- Ranorex Studio
The codeless tool has incredible features that facilitate the creation, execution, and maintenance of automation tests. Ranorex Studio is ideal for GUI testing and, being a cloudless automation testing tool, has convenient drag and drop as well as replay and recording features.
- Using Ranorex Spy, you can analyze your application and identify elements using RanorexPath
- Effortlessly create test automation projects without coding using its action editor and recorder
- Provides support for API testing
- With Ranorex Remote, testing teams can connect remotely from anywhere
- Facilitates data-driven testing
An easy-to-learn platform that is excellent for beginners, Katalon allows easy integration with many CI/CD tools. In addition to using it on the cloud, testers can also use it on local machines. It also facilitates data-driven and behavior-driven testing.
- Lets you test on several browsers, devices, and environments simultaneously
- Generates status and performance reports, together with a visual demonstration of crashes and test runs
- Facilitates regression testing
- Its advanced debugger lets you identify bugs and changes quickly
- Provides hassle-free implementation, letting you set it up quickly in minutes
Though all of the above codeless testing tools are known for their unique features and advantages, you need to zero in on that tool, which can take your automation testing process to the heights you want to achieve.
One testing platform that has consistently delivered results with its performance is TestGrid, the AI-powered codeless automation testing platform that has impressed organizations with its powerful features and benefits.
TestGrid’s codeless features have simplified the complex process of automation testing. Moreover, its straightforward interface makes it easy for even inexperienced testers to test applications efficiently, even preventing the need for test maintenance thanks to its AI-based auto-healing feature. TestGrid allows you to scale your testing processes up or down whenever you want without worrying about setting up additional infrastructure.
With its incredible capabilities, TestGrid accelerates your software development process and lets you deliver perfect, glitchless products faster to the market.